Country of Origin: Egypt
Egyptian onion is a cultivar of the onion family that is grown mainly in Egypt. There are several types of Egyptian onion, each with its own flavor and unique appearance. It is a common commodity all over the world and is especially popular in Europe. Egypt is one of the largest producers of onions in the world.
Conditions for exporting onions from Egypt
- Before exporting onions, they must be subjected to a thorough examination to check for any agricultural pests.
- The exporter must submit to the importer a certificate from the Research Institute of Plant Diseases to the Agricultural Quarantine Department, proving that onions are free of smut fungi.
- It is necessary to fumigate onions with chlorine-free methyl bromide gas at a dose of 16 grams per cubic meter.
- Finally, it is important to know the buyer’s requirements before exporting onions from Egypt. Buyers may require that the onions be fresh, frozen or processed.
- You should also be aware of any special packaging requirements the buyer may have.
Onion export specifications
Egyptian onions are an essential ingredient in many cuisines around the world and are highly regarded for their flavor. Egyptian onions vary in type, some are used for cooking and others for their appearance in salads or as appetizers.
Egyptian onions are the third largest crop exported in Egypt after oranges, and potatoes represent 20 percent of Egypt’s total agricultural exports.
Egypt is one of the largest onion exporters in the world, with total annual exports of more than US$1 billion.
Egyptian onions have a strong comparative advantage for producing high-value crops for export, such as garlic and shallots.
Types of Egyptian onions
There are three main types of Egyptian onions: red, yellow and white. Each type has its own preference for the country of import.
Onions are one of the products that are permanently exported from Egypt, and there are many types of onions that are grown in Egypt, and we export some others, which are:
1. Baharawi onions
It is dried and exported as dried onion or powder, which is yellow in color and is cold rather than hot.
2. Onion Tantawy
This type of onion is required for export in all Arab countries, and it has a bright red color.
3. Saidi onions
This type is frequently requested by restaurants because it enjoys its apparent taste in eating, and it has a hot yellow color.
It is dark red in color and is required for export in all sizes.
The most important importing countries for Egyptian onions
Egypt enjoys a high comparative advantage for its onion exports, which are in high demand in many import markets among agricultural exports, where onions are the most important, and among these countries are the following:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United State
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
Tips to be taken before exporting onions
There are a few things you need to keep in mind before exporting onions from Egypt.
- First, the export specifications will differ according to the type of onion you are exporting. For example, red onions require different specifications than white onions.
- Secondly, it is important that you familiarize yourself with the import regulations of the countries you are exporting to.
- Finally, it is important to consider the customs formalities that may be required when exporting onions to certain countries. By following these tips, you will be able to export onions safely and successfully.
- When shopping for onions, you must specify the size, type and method of packaging.
- Necessary papers and documents as well as state requirements should be readily available.
- The importer’s papers and payment method must be confirmed.
AR Trading Company and export onions from Egypt
- AR Trading Company is a leading importer and exporter of onions in that it provides a variety of import and export services
- AR Trading Company is committed to providing high quality products and services to its customers, and they are always looking for new opportunities to expand their business.
- The company is also characterized by speed and accuracy in performance.
- There is also a team of support specialists in importing from Egypt.
- Continuous communication with customers to reach the best deals for them at the most appropriate prices.
If you are interested in onion export from Egypt, or have any questions about the process, please contact AR Trading.