The name vanillin is usually called vanilla extract, which is commonly used for many purposes, most notably the perfume industry because of its stunning aroma, and the preparation of some food dishes because of its delicious flavor, and due to the careful care of its cultivation, picking and processing, vanilla is one of the most expensive spices in the world, while the varieties Low cost is often made in the laboratory and lacks the potential benefits of natural vanilla, so through the next article we will learn about the most important information about import vanilla
What is vanilla?
Vanilla is a climbing plant that grows in many places, including Mexico, Central and South America, and Tahiti. The flavor is extracted from the pod of the plant. It is cultivated and obtained for its fruits that produce vanilla and give food and drinks a distinctive flavor. There are seeds in vanilla fruits that contain vanillin, usually used to make Flavoring, also used in the pharmaceutical industry
Vanilla extract can be expensive, as it is second only to saffron, so lab-produced vanillin is often used as a substitute for vanilla, and sometimes vanilla extracts are diluted with less expensive extracts.
What are the uses of vanilla?
- Thanks to its strong and soothing scent at the same time, vanilla extract is used in the manufacture of many international perfumes, cosmetics, and air fresheners. The vanilla scent is long-lasting on the skin, and thus can be enjoyed for long hours.
- Vanilla extract is also included in the ingredients of many foods, especially sweets, as it adds a special taste to it. It is available in the form of vanilla powder or vanilla liquid, and small quantities are added to it, yet its smell appears strong and pungent.
- Vanilla can also be added to foods to reduce the amount of sugar needed, and some people add vanilla to food to help stop tooth decay
- In medicines, vanilla is used as a flavoring in beverages used to make them, especially medicines that have an unpleasant aftertaste
Read About: food import and export companies
What are the benefits of vanilla?
Here are the most prominent potential health benefits of this plant:
- Treating respiratory diseases, as this extract contains natural substances that may help relieve some respiratory problems
- Improving mental health: One study showed that taking this plant extract may help relieve depression and its aroma helps reduce anxiety levels in patients while undergoing MRI scans.
- Toothache relief
- Improving skin and hair health, as it helps to strengthen hair, stimulate its growth, treat acne, and improve the appearance of scars
- Helps lose excess weight by suppressing appetite, reducing cravings for large amounts of food, lowering cholesterol levels in the body, and improving the pace of metabolic processes
Types of vanilla
1- Liquid vanilla
Liquid vanilla, called vanilla extract, vanilla spirit or pure vanilla extract, is obtained by soaking vanilla seeds in water and glycerin
2- Vanilla extract of Baker
Baker’s extract (flavored vanilla) is liquid vanilla (pure vanilla extract), but it is mixed with other natural flavors, the most important of which are chocolate, caramel, cream, coconut, hazelnut, etc. It is a delicious option, but it is more expensive than liquid vanilla
3- Vanilla beans
A vanilla stick contains thousands of vanilla beans (seeds) and it is these seeds that contain the largest, concentrated part of the flavor
4- Vanilla seed powder
As in the case of vanilla seeds, there are some recipes that need soft and delicate ingredients such as biscuits, pastries and different types of sauces so that it is not possible to add coarse ingredients that remain clear in shape and texture
5- Vanilla paste
Vanilla paste is a mixture of liquid vanilla and vanilla powder, and is a suitable substitute for using whole vanilla seeds
6- Concentrated vanilla
It is a liquid vanilla extract but with twice the amount of vanilla seeds added for a highly concentrated and intense flavor, which is what makes it the most expensive type.
7- Vanilla powder
It is a mixture that combines sugar and vanilla to get a light, sweet flavor
8- Synthetic vanilla
It is a vanilla flavor prepared in the laboratory, and in general it is used to give recipes a natural vanilla flavor, and it is usually transparent, but it is given a natural caramel color to obtain a light brown color, it is considered a safe and cheap alternative compared to natural vanilla, and it often contains 100% industrial vanillin sugar and other ingredients
How to store vanilla?
- Vanilla extract should always be stored in a cool, dry place. You must be careful when import vanilla not to expose the extract to high temperatures or light for a long time, as this can actually cause some of it to evaporate.
- Placing the bottle in the kitchen cupboard, away from the stove and oven, or the pantry is a great option
- If you can store your vanilla extract in a dark bottle, whether you purchased it this way or transferred it to another dark bottle, preferably glass, this helps protect it from UV exposure. It can help extend the flavor and aroma for longer
The volume of import vanilla from Egypt
The global company volza issued a statement about export and import vanilla beans around the world, about 644 were exported from global exporters and about 1024 buyers.
Sudan import vanilla from Egypt, with revenues amounting to 32 dollars, according to the United Nations databases on international trade.
The largest European countries in the import vanilla field
According to the latest data of the World Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), African Madagascar tops the list of countries exporting vanilla with 3,217 tons in 2019, equivalent to 41% of the global production of 7,865 tons, followed by Indonesia with 2.32 thousand tons, Mexico with 522 tons, and in Fourth place is Papua New Guinea, with 495 tons.
As for the most important countries that import vanilla in the world, in order (the United States, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Britain).