Country of origin: Egypt
Since Egypt is one of the most important tomato-producing countries and currently ranks fifth in the world in terms of total tomato production, tomatoes are exported from Egypt to every country in the world according to the regulations governing the export of agricultural crops. This is because Egypt is currently ranked fifth in terms of total tomato production.
Importing tomatoes from Egypt
- Egypt is following China, Turkey, Italy, and the United States in annual production of tomatoes, which produces approximately 7 million 943 thousand tonnes of tomatoes each year. The United Kingdom and the countries of the European Union are among the most important countries that import tomatoes from Egypt.
- Because it is of the meaty type required in the export of tomatoes from Egypt, one of the best types of tomatoes in Egypt is grown in the Luxor Governorate in the center of Esna. Its production accounts for approximately 5% of Egypt’s overall productivity of tomatoes, which is equivalent to 8.5 million tonnes per year.
- In Upper Egypt, tomato seeds are planted in August or September, and the crop is harvested from December through March. On the other hand, tomato seeds are planted in March in Egypt’s Delta region, and the crop is harvested from June through September in that region. Tomatoes are grown in Egypt.
- The cultivation of tomatoes occurs in three cycles: the summer cycle, the indigo cycle, and the winter cycle. Therefore, Egypt is responsible for making up for the shortage of tomatoes in the other producing nations during the periods of the year in which tomatoes are not being grown for them.
- Because the export of tomatoes to the European Union is not subject to taxes, Egypt can meet the European Union’s demands in the winter for all types of tomatoes, whether they are round tomatoes or fresh long ones, and in the summer for dried tomatoes. In the winter, Egypt ships tomatoes of all shapes and sizes to the European Union.
Tomato growing places in Egypt
Tomatoes are widely acknowledged as one of the most important foods and agricultural crops grown globally. Tomato cultivation is most common in warm, sandy locations, yet, these plants need protection from cold. The following governorates in Egypt are seeing an increase in the cultivation of tomatoes:
Tomato export steps
Tomatoes, one of the most significant agricultural products grown in Egypt, are exported in line with the laws that regulate them and created by the Central Administration of Agricultural Quarantine. These regulations are as follows, in order of importance:
- In order to give the essential information for coding work for the farm or the goods offered by the farm from tomatoes, the owner of the farm, the filling station, or his legal agent, must travel to the Agricultural Crops Export Council.
- The Association is responsible for establishing the tripartite committee, which is comprised of the agricultural quarantine and the export council. This is done based on inspecting and approving the farm in accordance with the conditions for exporting, as well as the examination set forth by the agricultural committee.
- When the farm, packing station, or packing center passes the examination stage and is accepted, it is given the export code. The farm has the right to waive a quantity in favor of another export company by obtaining a waiver letter from The Egyptian Export Council. This happens when the farm, packing station, or packing center is given the export code after passing the examination stage and being accepted.
- The Council makes available an up-to-date list, which is updated frequently, of the agricultural quarantine areas in the farms and the stations whose codes have been authorized.